Ventura Domestic Violence Attorney
Call For a FREE Consultation: (805) 727-4627
If you have been accused of domestic violence, you face the prospect of very serious consequences if you are convicted.
Under California law, the term domestic violence can encompass a number of different criminal offenses. Though each case and charge is different, a crime will be considered domestic violence if it involves:
- Physical violence, threatened violence, or abuse;
- Involving individuals in domestic relationships; which can include:
- Spouses, family members, parents, and cohabitants
At Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP, our Ventura domestic violence lawyers have experience in fighting on behalf of clients charged with domestic violence. We are familiar with these charges, and we know how to create strong defenses that protect our clients' rights, freedoms, and futures.
Have Questions About a Domestic Violence Charge? Contact Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP for a FREE Case Review.
Types of Domestic Violence Charges in California
Domestic violence can take many forms, which means there are different charges an individual can face.
Examples of domestic violence offenses in California include:
- Corporal injury on a spouse, cohabitant, or fellow partner (PC 273.5) - Refers to the infliction of corporal injury on a spouse or domestic partner. This charge is hinged of victim's suffering physical injury from an intimate partner.
- Domestic battery (PC 243(e)(1)) - Involves any unlawful touching that is harmful or offensive among domestic partners that can include spouses and former spouses, cohabitants, individuals in a dating relationship, and parents. This charge can be prosecuted without evidence of physical injury; all that is required is force or violence.
- Violating a restraining or protective order (PC 273.6) - Violations can occur if you attempt to contact or see an individual despite an order prohibiting this. Some orders can also prohibit a person from owning a gun.
- Criminal threats (PC 422) - Threatening bodily harm or death on a spouse or family member, whether verbally or in written communication, can be considered domestic violence.
- Child abuse & child endangerment
- Elder abuse
Effects of a Domestic Violence Conviction
Being convicted of domestic violence can have lasting negative effects on your personal and private life.
A domestic violence conviction can limit your ability to:
- Pass background checks for certain jobs
- Be approved for certain housing applications
- Possess firearms
- Pursue higher education
Having a domestic violence conviction on your record is viewed negatively by employers, landlords, and even friends and families. It is important to work with an experienced attorney who knows how to minimize the damaging effects of a domestic violence conviction on your life.
Do not hesitate to get in touch with our team. Call our Ventura domestic violence lawyers today, and let our team stand by your side. We can provide you with a free case review.
California's Domestic Violence Penalties
Although penalties and charges will be based upon the unique factors of your case - including if there were any injuries, prior convictions or if children were involved - they are often severe and have the ability to threaten your freedom and future. Depending on the specific facts of a case, individuals charged with a domestic violence offense can be charged with either a misdemeanor or a felony.
Both charges carry stiff penalties, including:
- Terms of imprisonment
- Fines & fees
- Court ordered counseling
- Community service
Society takes domestic violence very seriously, and the criminal justice system imposes serious penalties for those who are convicted.
Accused of Domestic Violence? Retain Legal Advocacy Today.
If you have been charged with domestic violence, whether you were wrongfully accused or not, it is urgent you get in touch with our Ventura domestic violence lawyers at Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP right away.
At our firm, we know that such charges can significantly alter the course of your future, and that is why we stand ready to put our experienced legal defense on your side of the courtroom. When you entrust your case with our team, we will gather ample evidence and work diligently to have your charges dismissed or reduced.
I have nothing but praise.
We are very pleased and impressed!
DEFINITELY the best lawyer!
I will recommend you and your firm to anyone.
No Jail Time
When going through serious legal matters, do not put your case in the hands of just any attorney. Rather, work with a team who has earned a respected reputation for outstanding legal service and one with a proven track record of success.